Divas who dish . . .

Monday, February 28, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

Back in the fall when butternut squashes were plentiful I decided to try out a recipe I found in a magazine. It had heavy cream among other yummy ingredients and so I thought it was a no fail way to utilize a great fall crop. WRONG! It was disgusting (or excusting as my daughter says). So when my husband came home one Sunday afternoon after visiting some people from church I was not only speechless that he actually ate food from someone else's kitchen (he often worries about other people's definition of food safety) but even more shocked to hear he tried butternut squash soup and loved it. Loved it so much that he brought home a recipe and the fresh herbs from their garden to go with it. After trying to figure out if he just had them write down the recipe to be nice or not, I realized he really thought highly of this vegetable that he once frowned on. I was hesitant as I made it (recalling my previous disaster) but when I tasted it....wow....really really good! So I was happy to see that butternut squash was an ingredient (and perhaps the only one I used) but I just knew I had to share this lovely recipe. Perhaps the reason it is so good is that it has a whole stick of butter in it (yikes, I know)....but...so do cookies, right?! In my pics I experimented with only 6 Tbls to see how it was, but 1 stick did make a difference. But I love that this recipe is a one pot wonder. You throw everything in, puree, and eat. I took the pics to prove how easy it is and entice you to try it b/c I think it is divine. I only have ever used fresh herbs and can't imagine it would even resemble the same taste if they weren't fresh. First cook onions in butter while you peel and chop butternut squash.
Next, throw in squash and a carton of chicken broth and add sage, thyme, and a cube of bullion. Cover and cook until squash is tender.
Puree in blender and voila! Thin with water to your liking and season with salt/pepper to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment